Monday, February 14, 2011

There will be watching of Casablanca

It's Valentines day again, and (at least when I wrote this,) I'm coming to you from a beat up red notebook with the word "love" written somewhat ironically in the back cover with a purple sharpie. Weapon of choice is a twistables pencil in a rather lovely shade of red-pink-maroon.

I'm not the type of person who holds a party just for me, a sad reminder of singledom on this day. No, I'm the one that sits home, curled up with my dog and a good movie.

This year, the movie of choice is Casablanca. I've loved the movie since I first saw it on public television one lonely night. Bogart struck me immediately--here was a man. Dark, enigmatic, and handsome, his is a character I have yet to be able to write.

And then, there is Ilsa. Loved by 2 men and in love with them both, she... On second thought, I'll save my script analysis for March and the run up to Script Frenzy.

There is one thing I love about Valentines Day. That's the cards. I'm not really talking the goofy Hallmark ones. The simple ones, written on all purpose white stationary and decorated this year with crayon, it's the message inside that stands out. It's that message I love. It's what Valentines Day is all about. Forget the cookies and candy and presents. Let's use this day to write to the ones we love and let them know exactly how we feel.

Curtain.

6 comments:

  1. Casablanca has always been one of my favorite movies! I just picked up the newly released Blu-Ray and it's fantastic. I'll be watching it on AMC tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude the Blu-Ray would be awesome... if I had anything to play it on. Honestly, part of me loves watching it a little bit grainy, not as high quality. Makes me feel a bit more like it's not 2011, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casablanca on VHS ftw. It's just so...analog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you just special, Mike. :) Making us all jealous with your VHS... now if you'd have said you had it on Beta, that would have been even better. Or reel to reel, that would make you a real star. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alas, I have none of those things, merely a Panasonic VHS with missing channel buttons moldering quietly in the garage until called for.

    I also have a functioning tape deck. Does that count?

    Word verification: rented - no kidding, like a VHS tape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're voting you off the island, Mike. The only way to get survive is to surrender the TM-5.

    ReplyDelete