Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ken Sanders Redux

(I apologize--some of the pictures turned out a bit blurry.)

I wish I could share the smells with you. I've talked about them before, I know, but still. It's the smells that stick with you. They can call up poignant memories of the past, of an event, of a person or place.

Favorite Corner
 The aisles are narrow and the floors are cold, but I love this place. Scattered throughout are chairs, perfect for sinking down among the books and reading.

There's a corner of the store I love, and I can't even tell you why. It's at the back, with a window nearby and shelves all around. I stand there and just stand, not even needing to look at the books around me. Total immersion, I guess you can call it. I'm surrounded and it's peaceful.

IMAG0060Turn around and there is the light, the light at the end of the tunnel. Out there, outside, is the real world, a world where things aren't a clear as they are in here. Things make more sense surrounded by books--you know that if you look, you can find an answer.

IMAG0061Standing, looking down from mystery and sci-fi, I feel like Fleming's Bond--he's just on the other side of the aisle. My camera becomes my weapon as I covertly take pictures, attempting to preserve a little bit of this place that holds so much for me.








IMAG0067

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I need to do this exact thing to my favorite local bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah deek, you do! Celebrate CLUB month!!!

    ReplyDelete